Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Training

So we had an accident in Arrest Control. During one of our ground defense drills one of my fellow recruits was hurt, and I’m sorry to say it was me that hurt him.

Please understand that all our training is done in a safe and professional manner, and that all steps are taken to avoid such injuries; however, with that said we also try and make our drills as realistic as possible so that if were attacked on the street or in the jail we are fully prepared for it and not shocked by the initial confrontation.

During this particular drill I was on top of one of my classmates, his objective was to knock me off and get to his feet. It was a ten minute drill and we were in the last minute or two of it when we both landed funny and he heard a snap. It was his collar bone. Needless to say we took him to the hospital and got him taken care of.

He will not fully heal for about four weeks or so, but the good news is he will be able to complete the academy. (I would feel terrible if he could not go on any further.)

I wanted to talk about this so that people understand what were training for here. We are going into a very dangerous field of work and our training reflects that. Unfortunately accidents happen and sometimes cannot be avoided, the question we have to ask ourselves is what if my collar bone broke, and I was on the street getting attacked, can I fight through the pain and win? The answer is clear for us, we have no choice, and we have to win regardless of what happens.