Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Building Search


On Monday some members from the JCSO Regional SWAT team came in taught us the principles of building searches. We met at a local office building that has been rented for our training purposes and our instruction began.

We started with basic tactical movement, clearing rooms, clearing rooms as a team and eventually looking for a suspect. As you can imagine our instructors are highly trained operatives and have an abundance of knowledge and skill to pass on to us.

This was a great class and a very important skill for Law Enforcements officers to possess. Especially in the first few years of our careers we will be working the graveyard shifts and will be dispatched to many burglar alarms requiring us to perform a search.

I think I understand the basic elements of clearing rooms and moving through corridors. My classmates and I take this very seriously during our training which creates a certain sense of realism. I felt my adrenaline kick up as we searched from room to room looking for a suspect (played by a recruit) and when I found him in the dark corner of one of the rooms it really spiked.