Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sergeant Scott

Finally we are in uniforms! Week six we finally get there. As much as I love my black training uniforms, or class C’s as they are known, they are a pain to keep lint free. Not to mention we all look better in our departmental uniforms.

Week six was my turn to be class Sergeant. I have to say I really enjoyed it. My first assignment was to lead our group in PT ad Red Rocks. This can be quite intimidating as the public is watching you, and videoing you, the pressure is definitely on.

I made a couple of mistakes when naming a couple of exercises’; I was quite fast to correct myself so I don’t think anyone except my fellow recruits noticed.

As Sergeant I found I had quite a bit of responsibility. Of course I have seen others do it but you don’t really get it until your there yourself. For example, class instructors will expect you to get the class in order after a break or at the beginning of the day. This was something I knew would be my responsibility, and to be honest with you I quite enjoyed telling my peers what to do, not that I’m a power tripper, please don’t get me wrong, it was just fun.

What is more fun is that they actually do it! We have a great group here in this academy. Everyone wants to succeed and understands what the person next to them is going through. I think we have molded together very well. Time has flown by very quickly, Deputy Hoffmann told me it is because of how well we have come together, and that our class has done very well as a team.