Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rock Dance

Skills are in full swing as of today! We have been divided into two teams; I have been placed on B team. My morning starts with four hours of Arrest Control; this will actually be our second four hour session.

Our first session we concentrated on personal weapons, which are basically strikes using various parts of our body. A lot of bag work was involved, which as you can imagine works up a good sweat. I love this class, I did Martial Arts for many years and have been looking to get back into it, and difference now is that they are paying me to do it! What club can beat that?

We also train in what is known as the Rock Dance; basically this is a balance exercise, two recruits square off on the mats, engage, and attempt to throw the other down. There is a twist to this though; every time you get thrown down you owe ten push ups to the class. If neither recruit in the Rock Dance throws the other down you both owe twenty push ups! Incentive is everything.

After lunch it is down to the range, they are going to pay me to shoot their ammunition! What could be better than that? We have had twenty four hours of class room instruction in firearms already, sixteen of which were spent practicing drawing weapons from our holsters, and tactical and combat reloads.

Our instructors really do a great job, we all had a lot of fun and personally I feel really good about going to the range and doing this with loaded weapons.

We had some timed drills in the class room, we started small, with only two seconds to draw our weapons, get on target and pull the trigger. Every time we beat the timer the seconds would get slashed. We are talking about some serious gun handling here, the last time we got down to was 1.2 seconds, only a handful of us could complete all the above steps in the time, myself included, not that I am one to brag of course. We have some recruits in this class that are real fast with their weapons, I am looking forward to training with them, I think we have a lot to offer each other and we work well together as a team.