Monday, August 18, 2008

Razor?


Formal inspection was scheduled 8/13 at 0800 hrs, this meant that the night before I was scrambling to get my uniforms in tip top shape. I ironed my pants, taking due care to get the creases just right. My shirts I pressed, my boots got another couple of layers of parade gloss, I was ready; at least I thought I was ready.

We stood in formation, four squads lining up symmetrically to each other. Sgt. Wygant walked in front of each recruit, checking for discrepancies in appearance. I thought I was gold. Turns out, not only did I not have my ID badge on me, and displayed in the right place, but I also forgot to shave! Thankfully Deputy Johnson wasn’t at this inspection or push ups and memos would have been in my future. Now I have a sticky note on my mirror with the word SHAVE written on it.

Another you need to know about inspections, is that it is not just our appearance that is under scrutiny but also our knowledge. We can be asked about literally anything. In all fairness the inspecting officer does try to keep it within what we have already been taught.

As you can imagine this can make for a stressful inspection, not to mention a very interesting inspection, as was the case for me.