Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fallen Officers

First thing this morning we had inspection. Let me tell you, even at eight in the morning, especially when your uniforms are black, it is very hot. This can make standing to attention very difficult.

Inspection is fun however. At least I think so, that could just of course be because Deputy Johnson is going easy on us right now. Now please don’t get me wrong. I do work hard to get my uniform looking good. For the past three weeks I have been spit shinning my boots! I must have at least twenty to thirty layers of Kiwi parade gloss on there, with still more to go. My pants are pressed neatly, and my shirt ironed.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done. Anyone that gets into the academy, and thinks it’s a nine to five job, had better think again. There is studying and homework you have to do on your own time, uniforms need to be ready for the next day, you get one set of PT gear, and that has to be washed every time you use it, as it must be with you at all times.

That aside, what I really wanted to briefly talk about was our inspection this morning. Our class sergeant last week assigned us, under orders, a name of a Peace Officer who at some point in Colorado's history had been killed in the line of duty.

During inspection we had a moments silence in remembrance of these brave officers. With our heads bowed, standing at-ease, we then took turns starting with highest rank, and called the name, department and year the officer was killed.

Now, when your turn comes, you immediately stand to attention and in a loud clear voice and sound off, return to the original position and pay respects as you hear the name of other fallen officers.

The importance of this to me, is not just so we don’t forget the sacrifices made for us, although this is the main reason, but also a reminder to us all of the challenges we will face in our careers. To always be mind full that these dangers exist, and that we must prepare ourselves physically and mentally so that one day we will retire instead of having the next Academy class reading our names.