Monday, July 28, 2008

Week 1

Thirty-six brand new Recruits converged upon the center classroom at the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office main Headquarters, Monday morning at 07:30 hrs. Surrounded by the top brass from many of our state law enforcement agencies. The Sheriff and Under Sheriff of Jefferson County, and a number of police Chiefs, Captains, Division Commanders, Sargeants and so on.

Excitement was high, as were the nerves of thirty six strangers.

We were introduced to our Academy Coordinators. Deputy Johnson. Deputy Hoffmann, and Sgt Wygant.

The first week for me was stress full. Especially the first couple of days. I had an idea of what was expected of me, yet still the fear of the unknown reared its ugly head. Here I was accomplishing my goals, living the dream if you will, yet I was on high alert.

Rules were laid down. The importance of Discipline. Our twenty week goal was high lighted for us all, and our graduation date set.

Back to the thirty six recruits I mentioned. We have a very diverse group of individuals, with a varied age group and from all walks of life. There are ex-military among us. Some have worked in Detentions for various Law Enforcement agencies. We have construction workers, real estate agents, and teachers, business owners and Bankers to name but a few. All however has one thing in common, Law Enforcement.

Deputy Johnson let us know from the start, that these thirty six individuals will mold into one team. That it will happen very quickly, and that is how we will survive the twenty weeks ahead of us.

Already in our first week, we have practiced formations, and standards of discipline. This is a Para-Military organization, Deputy Johnson seemed pleased with how we were learning these, yet at the same time disappointed that he didn’t have to make us do push ups! As much I love push ups, I’m hoping to prolong his disappointment as much as possible.

Majority of our time in this first week was spent in class room lectures. From Crime Prevention, to Stress Management, these Lectures, in my opinion, were very well structured and presented. We have a lot to learn, and only twenty weeks to do it in, but I have faith with the way the Academy is organized that we will all succeed.

Thursday was the first day we were in uniform, and also our first official uniform inspection. We were ordered to wear our Class C uniforms, which consist of black BDU pants, with black Academy polo shirt and boots. I am glad to report that our first inspection went rather well. Boots were shining and shirts were pressed. This for me was the first time we took a step from being thirty six individuals to one team. We still have a way to go yet but were on the right track.

Our Class motto was picked. “Let Valor Not Fail.” This was thought up by our Class Sergeant and voted on by the class.

Monday morning of week two, is our first PT exercise. I know Deputy Johnson is looking forward to it, and so, I guess, should I.