Monday, July 28, 2008

Let Me Introduce Myself

My name is Anthony. I am 28 years old. I was born in Dublin, Ireland. I come from a huge family, with many brothers and sisters. When I was six, my parents took us from Ireland to live in St Paul, Minnesota. After 18 months there we moved again! This time to London, England.

I went to high school at Mellow Lane Comprehensive in London. Graduatuated when I was 16 (that’s when everyone graduates in England, I'm nothing special) and then did two years in college. I took a GNVQ in Acting and Performing Arts studies at the City of Westminster College.

I have been in Denver for over 6 years now. Met my wife here five years ago and have been happily married for the past four years.

People always ask me: "why do you want to be a cop?", "it’s a thankless job," etc. This profession, in my opinion, is something you are called to do. This is why I sometimes feel I have a hard time answering these questions. For me, I have this burning desire to be here. Since I was a small boy, I always dreamt of being a cop. All the games I wanted to play where based on cop shows and movies we watched growing up.

What really got the cop fire burning for me. Were the endless conversations I had with my Father in Law. He is a retired Deputy Sheriff from the Jefferson County Sheriff's office. Let me tell you, this man loved his profession! Between him and my wife's uncle who was also a Deputy Sheriff at Jefferson County, and now currently works for a city department, I was never shy of cop stories.

The time had come. After two applications, two written tests, two physical tests, two interviews, two polygraphs, a year and a half later, I was finally here.

For those of you who want to be here at some point, or if you are just truly interested in what goes on in a real life police academy, I make this commitment to you. For the next 20 weeks, I will give you an insight into what it takes, to become a Peace Officer. From the lectures we get, to our PT and everything in between, for you it’s just a mouse click away.